Saturday, February 23, 2008

I'm out of the hospital!!!!

It's Saturday afternoon and we are back at the hotel. Obviously I am in pain but it is tolerable right now. I get tired easily, move extremely slowly and cannnot bend at all. I am to wear a back brace (much like you see a weightlifter wear) for 8 weeks. The disks will not be fully set for 3 months. In speaking with Dr. B 3 days post op, he believes I should feel like myself in 4-6 months given the length of time I suffered from this and level of degeneration of the disks. He felt the surgery was difficult due to the limited space left between my disks yet nothing he did not expect or has not seen before. He felt I was a relatively uncomplicated case. They describe my recovery as uneventful. Good news but certainly not what my body says.

My aunt Jean has been amazing and because of her we have been able to laugh so much I have to worry about my stitches. She befriended the hospital staff to the point they would get in trouble for lingering with us. This has been a great time for the two of us to spend together. Many of you probably did not realize she is only 4 years older so shes much like a sister. She did it all for me here. she was there to take care of me without battng an eye. There is no way to thank her enough.


Obviously there is an important 6 days missing here that needs to be chronicled for any future patient - too much for me to handle now but if you are reading this and thinking of doing this please feel free to contact me. Past patients made a huge impact on me and I am here for the next. Mark and Chuck thank you for keeping in touch with my family. It is so inspiring to read about Marks progress as he had the same two levels done as I did. I hope to reach that level long term as well.

I spoke with my mom and Dave and heard all of your well wishes. Thank you all so much for the support. I will need more to come, this is just the beginning.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, so glad that you are on the "other side" of this experience and that you are doing so well. It's great that you have someone pulling for you right there and that person is so helpful. You all will do fine, I think. Hope that you can get out to do some sight seeing later on. How long are you going to be there? Sorry if you already said. Gentle(((((HUGS)))) bj

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,
I am so glad to hear the surgery went well, you are recovering the way you're supposed to, and of course that you are out of the hospital! I know you still have a long recovery ahead of you, but this definitely sounds like a good start. We will be here to help you out when you are back here and recovering.
Monique & the other Kunkles

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are doing well. Hope you can take it very easy as you heal. Also hope the flight home won't be too taxing on you. In case you still have radicular symptoms, mine were just the same after surgery but then, very slowly, over the following months, they improved significantly. You are and have been in great hands. I'm glad you were able to have surgery by Dr. B and Dr. F-M and hope you'll really feel the benefits of it over the coming months. Glad you can do a little sightseeing and that you're laughing with your aunt!

Unknown said...

Cher, so glad things went well. Thinking of you,
Mike

Cheryl, it sounds like you are doing well, and I am so happy for you! I'm glad you have Jean there with you to make you laugh. Hope you get to sight see soon,
Gabrielle

Unknown said...

What great news, Cheryl! I have been thinking about you a lot - so glad you are on the right path to recovery. It will be a long road but you did it. Making the decision was probably the hardest part! Big hugs from snowy MA!

Anonymous said...

Great way to communicate with everyone! I'm new to this blog thing too - Sooo glad to hear your out of the hospital and starting your recovery. We are all here ready to help when you get home - miss you very much - I have been enjoying seeing your mom again. Keep up your spirits, you are in my prayers.
-Alison

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl,
I've been following these reports and talking with your mom daily. Very happy that things are turning out favorably. Hi to Jean with loud applause for her terrific help. In my limited experience with more routine surgery on my father and self it runs about five weeks for just the incision part to be fully healed.
Love, Oliver

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news (hotel, more walking, a SHOWER!) and you are posting your own blog again - that means you can come back to work for Bunny any time:) Seriously, I know you are still in lots of pain, but look at it this way: the pain you are in now is HEALING pain - the pain you were in before was a DEGENERATIVE pain. My friend, you are on the mends and for that (and for your wonderful Aunt Jean) I am so grateful! We miss you!
PS: Our daughters (Kristin/Rachel) and our Hubbies had a great time at the Father/Daughter dance last night!
~ Christy

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl,

Moving right along chica. So proud of you. In no time at all your body will feel 10 yrs younger. Can't wait to see you next week. I am there for you ready to help when you return. Picked out a good bottle of pinot to help you heal. Hee Hee!!!

Amber

Cathy said...

Cheryl-

I am soo glad to hear you are out of the hospital. Sounds like everything went pretty well relatively speaking. Sounds like u are in a lot of pain now, but hopefully that will end soon. Sending happy thoughts your way.

Cathy Parker

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you again. Your mom is doing a good job keeping us updated. The kids seem to be doing great. We missed you at the High School Musical birthday party!! The girls had a great time. Remember you only heal once so do what those great drs. tell you but don't over-do it!! We want to take you white water rafting the next time we go!! I know that must seem insane to think about but if Mark can go rock climbing, I think it is possible!!! Happy HEALING!!

Shelley said...

Hey there Cheryl,
So excited that you are able to blog again! We miss you here...
The girls are in great hands, your mom is amazing! She even offered to pick up Gracie from school...does she ever have to leave? It sounds like you are in pain, but just take it one day at a time and you will start to feel a little better every day. You will be back home before you know it....
Take some more pics, I love the pics!

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl;
I'm so happy to read that you are already out of the hospital. I've been thinking of you every single day that goes by. The girls are great! Sophia come into CW with her pink slippers and she was in comand of the whole room. Telling all my little ones what they could and could not do!Quite a hand full she is going to be.Mimi looks as great as always.... Energy full blown!her face as always tells you that everything is well....Love her!
Will keep on reading your blong every day, and I will tell you about the girls.
keep up the great work... remember slowly but surely!!!!! You are on your road to a better life style...
Love Beatriz