Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day six post op not good

Well, did I say the pain was tolerable yesterday? No true today. Jean and I walked a short distance to dinner last night and I could not sit. I had to circle the restaurant several times. while I understand this is normal I need to get this chronicled for future patients. It is a rollercoaster. Today has been m0re of the same. Walking a little and resting in bed. I am having a stronger med filled tomorrow. The post op medication situation is interesting here because they assume you are still taking any meds that you took at home prior to surgery. They will also prescribe you whatever necessary but the brand names are different. I never found much that worked real well on this level of pain at home without throwing up so I am relying on their prescriptions here. The opiod they gave me in the hospital worked well and I will take it tomorrow if needed. For reference pharmacies are closed on Saturday by noon and after that everything must be ordered on an emergency basis to the onlĂ˝ on call pharmacy in town and at extra cost. Eckhard will help with this process but its just that a process you do not want to go through when in pain. Controlled substances are even more difficult to order so plan accordingly when leaving the hospital. They hand you the prescriptions in plenty of time so have them filled or have your meds from home.

I read through David and Chucks post op links last night with Jean and we both felt so much better because so much of it sounded so familiar - the late night waking, the coughing in pain etc.

Thanks for all the kind words.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of the dip in the rollercoaster ride! If you feel like detailing the difficulties more fully it would be useful to learn where it is hurting currently. Is it the front wound or the back or maybe other zones like legs?

Cheryl said...

Its just my low back it feels like a very bad day pre surgery. no leg pain at all. Wound hurts but as expected. cheryl (not sure who you are anonymous)

mmglobal said...

Dear Cheryl,

My wife and I were sorry to read about your setback (especially since she's scheduled for ADR in Bogen next month!!!) As I mentioned on the phone, the get out of the hospital day can set you back. Just getting out of the hospital and into the hotel is way more activity than you have had since the surgery. Then, going out for a meal on the same day provides a double whammy. Decreasing meds and increasing activities can really knock you on your rear.

I've posted information about the system on Straubing here: (24/7 pharmacy system). I hope this is useful... maybe late for you, but good for the next patient.

I look forward to reading about your rapid recovery... all the best,

Mark

PS... when you feel better, I hope that you'll write some of the nice things you said about the Roemerhof here. (This website is new and doesn't have much yet, but when this gets filled out, it will really help people going to Pro-Spine for surgery.)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your pain and lack of medication. Hope the meds help you get through it (and don't make you sick). Don't you wish they could just wake you up when it is over?? I am impressed you are still blogging through the pain!!! Hoping that tomorrow is a better day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl, though I hate you are in such pain, I want you to keep perspective (which you always do anyway!)and HOPEFUL!
Day 6 post op may be grueling. Day 30 post op may be very painful, but days 60, 72, 110 and all the rest post-op days will all be better than ANY day PRE-OP :)

In the words of a dear friend:
"It is what it is". You're on the Recovery Rd - bumpy as it may be, you WILL GET THERE!
Love, Christy

Unknown said...

I was also wondering if it was your back that was hurting or your incision. I'm sure it's not encouraging to you to have your back be hurting but I have to imagine it's normal. You just had such a major operation! Recovery is a tough road - both physically AND mentally! I hope you are taking care of both (and I am sure Jean is helping!). We are all here for you!

Anonymous said...

I am guessing you have heard this before, but it bears saying....

"slow and steady wins the race"

David