Monday, March 17, 2008

Week 4 Post Op Update - Walking and Sitting Tolerance is increasing

It's 4 weeks from surgery today and I continue to recover. I can walk about 45 minutes before I feel pain. I can sit 20-30 depending on how much I've done in the day. I've only needed two painkillers this week which was for the leg issues at night. I haven't had the leg pain in two nights now so hopefully that is on the upswing as well. I am getting up and out a bit more. We went to WalMart yesterday - I had to leave the store and go to the car before my husband checked out though due to pain after 50 minutes.

I am still not better than pre-surgery and that is a milestone I look forward to hitting.

I sent the pictures of the egg sized lump at my incision site to Dr. B's office. They believe it to be muscle hernia which will require further surgery to correct though primarily cosmetic. My family doctor has looked at it and also feels its a cosmetic issue. I am going to see a new spine surgeon next week to confirm this diagnosis. I have to thank Mark Mintzer of Global Patient Network and ispine.org for connecting me with a spine surgeon in my area. My own spine doctor had rejected me once I made the decision to go to Germany. I left for surgery concerned but given my limted options, I decided to just hoped for the best and that I wouldn't need a spine surgeon upon my return. Mark contacted a top doctor here who he has worked with in the past to ask if he'd be willing to follow up with me. The doctors office called me the next day to set up my appt. This is amazing because most doctors are unwilling to take on other doctors follow up care. The doctor trained in Straubing with Dr. B so I feel confident he will be best suited to care for me. I'll let you know the results next week.

I should also point out that I am not a client of Mark's or GPN. He has so kindly and compassionately helped me out. THANK YOU MARK!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds encouraging!

Keep up the good work, but make sure to continue to listen to your body...

David

Unknown said...

It sounds like your recovery is heading in the right direction and GREAT NEWS that you found someone locally to do post-ops! You must be so relieved! I am sure you are eager to start seeing the results of the surgery but I think it's a start that you are at least recovering from the surgery!

Anonymous said...

good job young lady.
do as david says listen to the body.
and this must be said again slow and steady wins the race.
chuck

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,
I have been thinking so much about you! I'm glad the surgery went well and you are home now. It sounds like quite a journey. I'm so glad Jean was with you and you were able to share laughs to help get through all of this. Please say hi to your mom and Dave for me. I will keep sending positive thoughts your way and saying prayers for a successful recovery. You are doing a wonderful thing for other people by documenting the recovery and all of its ups and downs. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing. I miss you! Hang in there! love, Fiona

mmglobal said...

Hey Cheryl, I hope you are continuing to improve. Update? Diane's surgery was a couple of days ago and she's recovering nicely. You've already seen her blog... thanks for the support.

You are very welcome... I'm glad I was able to help you at such a tough time... I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

All the best... talk to you soon,

Mark